facebookfacebook

Battles Bricks and Bridges

Excavations at Arney, Co. Fermanagh

This report documents the findings of an archaeological excavation undertaken through the Battles, Bricks and Bridges project by the Centre for Archaeological Fieldwork at Queen’s University Belfast from 2013 to 2014. The project was a collaboration between the Centre for Archaeological Fieldwork, the Northern Ireland Environment Agency, Kilesher Community Development Association and the Cleenish Community Association.The community led investigation revealed the remains of a nineteenth century schoolhouse and upstanding adjacent cottages in Old Arney Village, and identified the site of the Battle of the Ford of the Biscuits [1594] through systematic metal detecting across the Arney landscape.

Click to view the full report